By Sam Coren
MassMutual, a leading mutual life insurance company, is partnering up with the Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF), UNCF and the Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF) for the MassMutual Multicultural Scholars Program. The MassMutual Scholars Program aims to increase the number of minority students completing college nationally and raise awareness for agencies and careers in the insurance and financial services industry. MassMutual plans to award $135,000 total in scholarships with up to $5,000 per student.
Minority students planning to attend college or attending college with leadership experience an an interest in finance or insurance are encouraged to apply. This scholarhsip oppertunity is open to students of all majors.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be of African American/Black, Asian/Pacific Islander or Hispanic decent
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident with a permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551 (not expired)
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Have plans to attend FULL-TIME in a degree-seeking program at a U.S. accredited institution in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands or Guam during the 2011-2012 academic year
- Be entering their sophomore, junior, senior or 5th-year senior year at a college or university or entering their 2nd or 3rd year in a community college
- Reside or plan to attend an institution in one of the following metropolitan areas: Atlanta, GA; Chicago, IL; New Jersey; Denver, CO; Houston, TX; Miami, FL; Los Angeles, CA; San Antonio, TX; or San Francisco, CA
- Students of all majors will be considered
- Demonstrate leadership and extra curricular activities and interest in insurance and financial services careers
How to Apply
Applicants must apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) first.
To apply for the MassMutual Multicultural Scholars Program online visit http://www.hsf.net/massmutual.aspx.
Applying for scholarships? Get advice from the experts.
Download our free StudentAdvisor Ultimate Scholarship Secrets Guide.